140 km west of Mandalay, Thanboddhay Pagoda with over 582,363 Buddha images, Bodi Tathaung Pagoda (1000 Bo trees), Kyaukka Shweguni Pagoda and Kyaukka (lacquerware) village are the major attractions of Monywa. Also interests are Phowintaung Caves, located across the Chindwin River with their sand stone caves containing Buddha images and interesting frescores on some of the cave walls.
Taungoo is a city in the Bago Division of Myanmar, located 220 km from Yangon, towards the northern end of the division, with mountain ranges to both east and west. The main industry is in forestry products, with teak and other hardwoods extracted from the mountains. The city is also known for its areca palms, to the extent that a Burmese proverb for unexpected good fortune is equated to a “betel lover winning a trip to Taungoo”.
King Mingyinyo founded Taungoo (Kaytumadi) in 1510 AD. Although few visible historic remains survive, Taungoo was once the capital of one of the most powerful post-Bagan Burmese kingdoms, over which seven kings reigned for a period of 155 years. All the four sides of the brick city wall remain, with the exception of the part of the southern wall. The 9.6 m wide moat is dried up, except in some of its sections on the eastern side, where it is purposely kept and properly maintained.
The eastern portion of Taungoo district is the home to many Kayin
Pyay is a town and district of the Bago Division in Lower Myanmar, located some 161 km, or 7 hours north of Yangon by road, or an overnight boat trip south of Bagan. It has about a population of 83,000. The British Irrawaddy Flotilla Company established the current town in the late 1800s on the Ayeyarwady River as a transhipment point for cargo between upper and lower Myanmar. It is also called "Pyi" by the locals.
The name “Pyi” means “country” in Myanmar, and refers to the ruins of the Pyu capital of Sri Ksetra or Thayekhittaya, which is located 8 km to the southeast of modern Pyay and is known today as the village of Hmawa.
Sri Ksetra was built around 638 AD and was the capital of the new Pyu dynasty of Vikrama. The city was circular with walls enclosing an around of 46 sq km. The city fell to Bagan in 1057, and the Pyu retreated northward. The Burmese came continued to call the old Pyu center Pyi. The extensive ruins have been the subject of intensive archaeological investigation.